Fresh Apple Cake
|All purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs), sifted|
|Baking soda||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Tart apple||3 Cup (48 tbs), pared, finely chopped|
|Walnuts/Pecans||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Lemon peel||1 Teaspoon, grated|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Cream cheese frosting||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (as needed)|
|Walnuts||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Grease three 9x1 ½ inch round layer cake pans and flour them.
3. Using a sieve, sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
4. In a small bowl, mix together chopped apple, 1/2 cup chopped nuts and lemon peel.
5. In a large mixing bowl, mix sugar, salad oil and eggs; using a wooden spoon, beat them well.
6. Stir in the sifted dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
7. Stir in the apple mixture until well combined.
8. Pour equal quantities of mixture into the prepared pans and spread evenly.
9. Place the pans in the oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes until the surface springs back when pressed lightly with fingertip.
10. Let the cake cool in the pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool thoroughly on wire rack.
11. Wrap individual layers in foil or plastic wrap; seal, label and store in freezer.
12. Remove the cake from freezer and let it stand wrapped at room temperature for 1 hour.
13. Unwrap the cake layers.
14. In a medium size mixing bowl, prepare Cream-Cheese Frosting using portable electric mixer beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla at medium speed until light and creamy
15. Add confectioners' sugar and beat until the cream is of spreading consistency.
16. Fill the cake with frosting and frost it all over.
17. Press the remaining 1 cup nuts on side and refrigerate until served.
18. Serve chilled on a decorative dessert serving plate.
The cake layers can be frosted and then freezed unwrapped for 1 hours. Then, wrap and stor in freezer until served.