Spiced Chocolate Cake
|Shortening||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Sifted all-purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Instant coffee powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Buttermilk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Unsweetened chocolate square||4 Ounce, melted and cooled (1 Ounce Each Square)|
|For seven minute frosting|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|White corn syrup||1 Tablespoon|
|Water||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Pure vanilla extract||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Greased and lightly flour a 13x9x2-inch baking dish
Making the Seven Minute Frosting:
3. In the top of a double boiler beat together sugar, cream of tartar or corn syrup, salt, water and egg-whites with a handheld electric mixer for 1 minute.
4. Place pan over boiling water, such that boiling water does not touch the bottom of the top pan.
5. In case it does, it could cause frosting to become grainy.
6. With electric mixer beat constantly on high speed for 7 minutes and beat in vanilla.
Making the cake:
7. In a mixing bowl, place shortening.
8. Into the bowl sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, spices and instant coffee powder.
9. Add 1 cup of the buttermilk, mix till all flour is moistened and beat mixture vigorously 2 minutes.
10. Stir in remaining buttermilk, eggs, cooled chocolate and vanilla and beat 2 minutes longer.
11. Bake in the prepared 13x9x2-inch baking dish for 40 minutes till done.
12. Let the cake cool and then frost with Seven Minute Frosting.
13. Serve the Spiced Chocolate Cake over special dinners or as desired.
Calories 1478 Calories from Fat 473
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 54 g83.5%
Saturated Fat 19 g95.2%
Trans Fat 4.5 g
Cholesterol 158.6 mg52.9%
Sodium 1021 mg42.5%
Total Carbohydrates 241 g80.5%
Dietary Fiber 7.5 g30%
Sugars 177.1 g
Protein 20 g40.2%
Vitamin A 3.9% Vitamin C 1.8%
Calcium 17.7% Iron 50.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet