Rosh Hashanah Honey Cake
|For the cake|
|All-purpose flour||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Salt||1 1⁄4 Pinch|
|Ground cinnamon||2 Teaspoon|
|Ground clove||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger/Use allspice instead of all the spices||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Corn oil/Vegetable oil||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Honey||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Use The Purest Honey You Can Find)|
|Orange zest||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Coffee||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), lukewarm (Either Brewed, Or Instant Dissolved In Water)|
|For the glaze|
|Coconut cream/Use heavy cream if you don't like coconut||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), unsweetened|
|Honey/Corn syrup||2 Tablespoon|
|Shredded bitter chocolates||4 Ounce (Or Finely Chopped)|
|Coarse sea salt||2 Teaspoon (For Garnish)|
1. Generously grease a non-stick 10-inch bundt pan or a ring mold cake tin with oil or baking spray. You can use a Charlotte mold if you don’t have a bundt pan.
2. Heat the oven to 350°F placing the rack on middle level.
3. Into a large basin, sift the flour, baking powder and soda, salt, and spices. Keep aside.
4. Into a large dry mixing bowl, add eggs.
5. Beat them with a stand mixer or an electric one until well blended and thick.
6. Whisk in sugar, oil, honey, and zest and coffee and beat on medium low until the mixture a beautiful golden cream.
7. To the honey-egg mixture, fold in the flour mixture, in 3 batches, using the cut and fold method to incorporate the dry ingredients into the egg batter to get a light cake batter of dropping consistency.
8. Pour the batter into the pan.
9. Bake in heated oven for about 45 to 50 minutes, until the cake is spongy to touch, leaving the sides of the pan and a cake tester comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes.
10. Remove the cake from the oven and let cake cool in the pan for 20 minutes. By this time, your home will be filled with the heavenly aroma of honey cake.
11. Using a palette knife or a butter knife, loosen the cake from the pan.
12. Place a rack over the top of the pan, then, holding the rack and pan together, flip the cake pan and rack over so that the cake can slide safely out of the pan onto the rack. Let the cake cool completely.
13. In the meantime, make the glaze by combining the coconut milk and honey or corn syrup in a small saucepan.
14. Heat on low flame, stirring until well blended.
15. Add the finely chopped chocolate and taking pan off the heat, stir until the chocolate melts to a rich smooth velvety ganache. Let cool, stirring occasionally.
16. Carefully transfer the cooled cake to a platter and drizzle the glaze over over the bundt, letting it cascade slowly, down the sides.
17. Sprinkle with sea salt if you like a little saltiness to you a sweet cake.
Grease your cake pan well with baking spray or oil.
Measure oil and honey in a liquid measuring cup, measuring oil first then the honey, using the same cup. This cuts down your washing and cleaning time!
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 6582 Calories from Fat 3114
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 352 g541.8%
Saturated Fat 61.6 g307.8%
Trans Fat 1.1 g
Cholesterol 643.5 mg214.5%
Sodium 5222 mg217.6%
Total Carbohydrates 837 g278.9%
Dietary Fiber 23.1 g92.2%
Sugars 588 g
Protein 56 g112.7%
Vitamin A 17.1% Vitamin C 22.2%
Calcium 125.4% Iron 168.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet