Coconut Orange Cake
|Yellow cake mix||18 1⁄4 Ounce (1 package)|
|Vegetable oil||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Canned coconut cream||8 1⁄2 Ounce (1 can)|
|Sour cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|For orange filling|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Canned mandarin oranges||11 Ounce (1 can)|
|Egg whites||2 , reserve egg whites for icing|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Orange juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Light corn syrup||1 Tablespoon|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Sweetened shredded coconut||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Mandarin orange segments||6 (for decoration)|
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. For the cake :
3. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, and oil and beat until well blended.
4. Beat adding cream of coconut and sour cream until smooth.
5. Line bottoms of two 9-inch round cake pans cutting circles of waxed paper.
6. Grease paper and sides of pans and pour the batter.
7. Bake 32 to 36 minutes until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
8. Cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack.
9. Loosen cake by running knife around edge of pans, remove and place on wire rack to cool completely.
10. For orange filling :
11. In a heavy small saucepan, combine sugar and flour and add oranges, egg yolks, butter and vanilla.
12. Stirring constantly, place over medium heat and cook about 15 minutes until mixture thickens.
13. Cool to room temperature and spread filling between cake layers.
14. For icing, in top of a double boiler combine sugar, orange juice, egg whites, corn syrup and cream of tartar.
15. With a mixer beat until sugar is well blended.
16. Place over boiling water and continue beating about 7 minutes until soft peaks form.
17. Remove from heat add vanilla and continue beating 2 minutes until icing has attained the desired consistency.
18. Ice the cake with prepared icing.
19. On top and sides of cake sprinkle coconut and decorate with orange segments.
20. Place in an airtight container, refrigerate to chill.
21. Slice and serve chilled.