Low Fat Cream Layer Cake
|Cake flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs), sifted|
|Double acting baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cold water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Almond extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Whipped cream||1 Cup (16 tbs) (adjust quantity as needed for layering)|
|Strawberries||8 (for garnish)|
1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. In a large bowl, sift flour with baking powder, sugar, and salt. Add egg yolks, vanilla, almond extract, and water to the dry mixture and beat to a smooth mixture.
3. Beat egg whites along with cream of tartar to a stiff mixture.
4. Fold egg white mixture carefully into flour mixture.
5. Divide equally between two 8-inch cake pans and bake each for 25 minutes or until the cake top bounces back when pressed using a finger.
6. Allow the cake to cool on a cake rack in the pan.
7. Using a spatula, loosen cake edges, and turn onto a clean plate.
8. Spread whipped cream atop on cake layer, place the second cake layer above it.
9. Cover the top and sides with whipped cream and garnish the cake top with strawberries.
10. Allow to chill until served.
11. Slice Cream Layer Cake and serve chilled.