Lemon Sponge Cake
|For the sponge cake:|
|Egg whites||4 (Room Temperature)|
|Pure vanilla extract||1 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|White flour/Unbleached flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Skinned finely ground almond||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|For the lemon custard:|
|Milk/Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Freshly squeezed lemon juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lemon zest||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Confectioners sugar||3 Tablespoon|
|For the garnish:|
|Blueberries/Blackberries / combination of all 3 berries||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 325°F. Place a sheet of parchment on an ungreased baking pan of 8X12-inch dimensions.
2) In a bowl, add the egg whites with salt, whipping them to get stiff peaks.
3) Add in the vanilla extract and fold gently into the egg whites.
4) In another bowl, mix sugar, flour and almonds. Fold the mixture into the egg whites as well.
5) Pour the egg whites batter onto the baking pan. Spread the batter to form a 6X10-inch rectangle.
6) Bake the sponge cake for 15 minutes. Let cool.
7) In a medium saucepan, heat sugar and cornstarch over low flame. Slowly pour in the mik or water, stirring continously.
8) Switch the flame from low to medium. Add in the salt and egg yolks, whisking while bringing to a boil.
9) Add in lemon juice, lemon zest and let boil for a minute longer.
10) Let the lemon custard cool down for about 10 minutes.
11) On a parchment paper, big enough as the cake, dust the onfectioner's sugar.
12) Invert the cooled cake over the paper. Trim the extra edges.
13) Spread about 1 1/4 cups od the lemon custard in a thin layer over the underside of the cake.
14) Carefully, roll the parchment paper up, twisting the ends to secure the cake inside.
15) Refrigerate the lemon sponge cake for about 3 hours.
16) Cut the cake into 2-inch slices. Serve chilled with a little bit of the reserved lemon custard.
17) Garnish with fresh berries.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1506 Calories from Fat 279
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 31 g47.8%
Saturated Fat 7.2 g36.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 392.8 mg130.9%
Sodium 1045.2 mg43.6%
Total Carbohydrates 263 g87.5%
Dietary Fiber 7.8 g31.3%
Sugars 173.8 g
Protein 39 g78.4%
Vitamin A 15.2% Vitamin C 47%
Calcium 33.2% Iron 25.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet