|Non stick vegetable oil cooking spray||1|
|Cake flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , separated|
|Low-fat buttermilk||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Flaked sweetened coconut||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|70% buttermilk vegetable oil spread||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Pure vanilla extract||2 Teaspoon|
|Rum extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|1% low fat milk||2 Tablespoon|
|Food colorings||1 Drop (Red, Yellow, Green And Blue)|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 350 degrees.
2) Use non-stick cooking spray to lightly coat a 9-inch spring-form pan.
3) To make the cake, stir together the baking powder, flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
4) Use an electric mixer set on medium speed to beat the vegetable oil spread in a large bowl till it is smooth.
5) Add the sugar and beat till blended well.
6) Lightly beat in the egg yolk and then the vanilla.
7) In a different bowl, beat the egg whites on medium-high speed with clean beaters till soft peaks are formed.
8) Into the yolk mixture, alternately fold the flour and buttermilk mixtures. Fold in the coconut and egg whites next.
9) Pour the concoction into the prepared pan.
10) Bake in preheated oven till the batter is firm and a widen pick inserted in the center emerges clean. This takes about 30 minutes of baking. Cool the cake in the pan on the wire rack.
11) To prepare the frosting, mix together the sugar, vegetable oil spread, vanilla and rum extracts an salt in a bowl.
12) Add 1 tablespoon of milk and with a mixer set on medium speed, beat the mixture till it is fluffy and smooth.
13) Add just enough milk to make the mixture spreadable (about 1 more tablespoon). Stir well.
14) In a small bowl, place 2 tablespoons of the frosting and use 1 drop of red food coloring to tint it pink.
15) In a separate bowl, use 3 tablespoons of yellow coloring to tint the frosting.
16) Next, tint ¼ cup of frosting green and the remaining, blue.
17) To assemble the cake, take the cake out of the pan and make 2 half moons by cutting it vertically through the center.
18) Use a round cutter that is 3-inches in diameter and cut out half a moon from the straight side of each half to make a rainbow shape.
19) Across the flat top of one cake half, spread 2 tablespoons of the blue frosting. On top, stack the other cake half. Press together.
20) With the remaining blue frosting, spread all the vertical sides.
21) Spread the pink frosting into a 1-inch wide strip to form the shortest arc of the rainbow and the follow with the yellow and green arcs.
22) Serve the whole cake on a serving platter or cut into wedges and serve on individual plates. Can be chilled before serving. A good cake for children-€™s parties.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2738 Calories from Fat 838
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 93 g143.7%
Saturated Fat 48.4 g242%
Trans Fat 2.9 g
Cholesterol 213 mg71%
Sodium 2261.1 mg94.2%
Total Carbohydrates 447 g148.9%
Dietary Fiber 31.1 g124.4%
Sugars 250.7 g
Protein 49 g98.8%
Vitamin A 41.8% Vitamin C 0.08%
Calcium 59.2% Iron 8.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet