Burnt Sugar Cake
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Hot water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Softened butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Eggs||3 , separated|
|Cake flour||3 Cup (48 tbs), sifted before measuring|
|Sifted cake flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Cold water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Toffee cream filling||1 Cup (16 tbs) (adjust quantity as needed)|
1. In a small saucepan, melt 1 cup sugar with 1/4 cup hot water until brown.
2. Add remaining hot water and cook slowly to a syrup. Set aside to cool.
3. Grease and flour two 9-inch layer pans.
4. In a mixing bowl, beat remaining sugar and butter until light and creamy.
5. Beat in egg yolks.
6. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
7. Add dry ingredients to beaten mixture in 3 parts alternately with 1/2 cup sugar syrup and the cold water. Beat in each addition thoroughly.
8. Beat in the vanilla.
9. Beat the egg whites until they form firm peaks.
10. Stir 2 tablespoons beaten white into cake batter, then fold in the rest.
11. Turn the mixture into the prepared pans. Bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes.
12. Cool on a rack.
13. When cooled, sandwich with Toffee Cream Filling.
For the Toffee Cream Filling
1. Put 1 pound sifted brown sugar in a saucepan with 2 tablespoons water. Let melt, stirring constantly.
2. Add 2/3 cup pouring cream or half-and-half and 2/3 cup softened unsalted butter.
3. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until thickened.
4. Turn into a chilled bowl, and add 1 tablespoon coffee liqueur or rum.