|Red miso with low to medium salt content||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Egg whites||2 Small|
|Flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
1. Blend miso and sugar. Add 1 scant cup water. Stir thoroughly with a wire whisk to remove lumps.
2. Beat eggs until stiff peaks form. Combine with miso mixture.
3. Sift together flour and baking powder. Sift again into the egg-and-miso mixture. Mix well. Pour into a small cake pan lined with wax paper. Cover pan with foil and pierce in several places.
4. Bake in a preheated oven (400°F/205°C) in a large pan of hot water for about 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
5. Cut and serve hot or at room temperature. (If a browned top is desired, add cake top side down to lightly oiled and heated skillet and cook over medium heat until browned.)