Honey Custard Icebox Dessert Cake
|Cake slices||3 (White Sheet Or Sponge Cake, To Line Pan)|
|Unflavored gelatin||1 Tablespoon (1 Envelope)|
|Cold water||3 Tablespoon|
|Eggs||4 , separated|
|Honey||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Orange||1⁄2 , grated rind and strained juice|
|Orange liqueur/Cointreau /2 tablespoons grand marnier||2 Tablespoon|
|Boiling water||4 Tablespoon|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Almond flakes||1 Tablespoon, browned (To Garnish)|
1. Line the bottom and sides of a straight-sided 1-quart baking dish with slices of White Sheet Cake.
2. Soak gelatin in the cold water until needed.
3. In a heatproof bowl, beat the egg yolks until thick and pale.
4. Gradually beat in the honey.
5. Beat in the orange rind and juice, 1 tablespoon of the liqueur and the boiling water.
6. Stand the bowl in a pan of simmering water, and continue beating until the mixture thickens like custard.
7. Remove from the pan of water and beat or stir in the soaked gelatin until it is completely dissolved.
8. Cool slightly while you beat the egg whites.
9. When they hold soft peaks, fold them into custard mixture.
10. Pour mixtures gently into cake-lined pan and chill overnight.
11. Shortly before serving, beat heavy cream stiffly with remaining tablespoon liqueur.
12. Unmold cake onto a platter and spread the cream over it like a frosting.
13. Scatter browned almond flakes on top.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2128 Calories from Fat 1218
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 138 g212.2%
Saturated Fat 70.1 g350.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1326.3 mg442.1%
Sodium 707 mg29.5%
Total Carbohydrates 174 g57.9%
Dietary Fiber 4.7 g18.9%
Sugars 140.8 g
Protein 53 g106.7%
Vitamin A 109.6% Vitamin C 62.9%
Calcium 41.7% Iron 39.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet