Island Coconut Cake
|Shortening||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Eggs||4 , separated|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Lemon extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|All purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Baking powder||3 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Fresh coconut||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), shredded (Frozen Or Dried)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Flour||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1 2⁄3 Cup (26.67 tbs)|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Egg whites||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Preheat oven moderate to 350°F.
2) Grease three 8-inch round cake pans.
3) Lightly sprinkle flour over it.
4) Keep aside.
5) In a bowl cream together shortening and sugar.
6) Stir in egg yolks, vanilla extract, and lemon extract. Beat the mixture to blend well.
7) In a bowl sieve flour, baking powder and salt together.
8) Alternate flour mixture with milk to creamed mixture.
9) Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
10) Gently fold into batter.
11) Spoon the mixture into the prepared pans.
12) Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
13) For Coconut Filling, in a saucepan add sugar, flour and salt. Blend together.
14) Mix eggs and milk and cook stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.
15) Take off from heat and add vanilla extract, butter, and coconut.
16) Let stand to cool.
17) For Fluffy White Frosting, in a saucepan add sugar, cream of tartar, and water.
18) Cover and let the mixture boil.
19) Remove the cover and cook to 260°F.
20) Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
21) Fold in the syrup gently over beaten egg whites.
22) Beat until thick.
23) Let stand to cool completely.
24) Spoon Coconut Cream Filling and frost with Fluffy White Frosting.
25) Sprinkle the top and sides of cake with coconut.
Calories 817 Calories from Fat 294
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 33 g51.5%
Saturated Fat 13.1 g65.3%
Trans Fat 2.7 g
Cholesterol 142.2 mg47.4%
Sodium 256.8 mg10.7%
Total Carbohydrates 121 g40.3%
Dietary Fiber 2.2 g8.8%
Sugars 87.6 g
Protein 12 g23.3%
Vitamin A 6.3% Vitamin C 0.66%
Calcium 20.1% Iron 16.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet