Old-Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake
|Unsifted all purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking powder||3 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Regular margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Confectioner' s sugar||2 Tablespoon|
1. Turn oven to 450F.
2. Lightly grease an 8-by-8-by- 2-inch square baking pan.
3. Wash strawberries in cold water; drain. Set aside a few as a garnish and slice the rest of the berries into a bowl. Add granulated sugar; mix well.
4. In a sifter placed in a large bowl, sift the flour with granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt.
5. Cut butter into chunks; add to flour mixture. With pastry blender, or two knives used scissors fashion, cut in butter until it is in very small particles, all coated with flour mixture to make fine breadcrumb like mixture. Make a well in center of mixture.
6. Pour in milk all at once; mix quickly, with fork, just to moisten flour. Do not overmix; there will be lumps in the dough. Turn into prepared pan, scraping out bowl with rubber scraper.
7. With fingers (dipped in a little flour), lightly press out dough so that it fits corners of the pan and is even in the pan. Bake 15 minutes, or until golden and cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Loosen edges with a sharp knife; then turn out on a wire rack.
8. Beat cream, with a rotary beater, just until it is stiff. Gently stir in confectioners' sugar.
9. Using serrated edge knife carefully cut cake in half crosswise. Put bottom, cut side up, on serving plate. Spoon over half of sliced berries and cover the remaining cake. Spoon rest of sliced berries over top of cake and pour whipped cream into center
10. Garnish with strawberries and serve