Classic Applesauce Cake
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), softened|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sifted all purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Unsweetened apple sauce||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Baking powder||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground allspice||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (adjust quantity as needed)|
|Chopped seedless raisins||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Coarsely chopped walnut meats||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Lemon icing||1 Cup (16 tbs) (adjust quantity as needed)|
|Walnut halves||1 Tablespoon (for decoration)|
1. Line and grease a 9 x 9 x 2 inch cake pan.
2. Heat oven to 350°F.
3. Beat shortening with sugar until light and creamy.
4. Add eggs, one at a time, adding 1 tablespoon flour with each egg. Beat in thoroughly.
5. Stir in apple sauce.
6. Sift together the remaining flour, baking powder, soda, salt and spices.
7. Add to the beaten mixture in 3 portions alternately with the water. Mix in each portion thoroughly.
8. Lastly, stir in raisins and walnut meats.
9. Turn batter into prepared pan and bake for 45 to 55 minutes until cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
10. Cool for 15 minutes in the pan, then finish cooling on a rack.
11. When cooled, frost with Lemon Icing, and decorate with walnut halves.