Brandy Currant Cake
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Unsalted butter||3⁄4 Pound|
|Granulated sugar||3⁄4 Pound|
|Almond extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground almonds||4 Ounce|
|Cognac||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2. Line an 8 1/2-inch springform cake pan with parchment paper.
3. Sift together the flour and baking powder. Mix the dried fruits with a little of the flour to coat them thoroughly.
4. Beat the butter until it is soft. Add the sugar gradually and beat until the butter is light in color and texture. This is best done in a mixer, but in my grandmother's day the beating was done in a large porcelain bowl with a long-handled spoon.
5. Add the eggs, one at a time, and the almond extract, beating thoroughly after each addition. Add the flour gradually while beating. Stir in the fruits and ground almonds.
6. Spoon the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 3 to 3 1/2 hours. If the top of cake is taking on too much color, cover it with a piece of brown paper. Test with a toothpick. If it comes out clean, the cake is done.
7. While the cake is still hot, dribble cognac over it. The cognac will soak in.
8. Let rest for 1 hour.