|Unsalted butter||To Taste|
|Cake flour||1 Tablespoon|
|Blanched almonds||8 Ounce|
|Cake flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Unsalted butter||10 Tablespoon|
|Granulated sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Eggs||5 Large, separated|
|Pure vanilla extract||1 Tablespoon|
|Almond extract||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|White chocolate frosting||1 Cup (16 tbs), chilled|
1. Make cakes: Preheat oven to 350°. Grease 7 X 2-inch round layer-cake pan, and 9 X 9 X 2-inch square cake pan. Dust pans with flour, tapping out excess. Spread almonds on baking sheet.
2. Bake almonds in 350° oven, stirring frequently, until golden and fragrant, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool. In a food processor, grind nuts with on/off pulses until very fine. Be careful not to overprocess, or you'll have a nut paste.
3. In medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and ground almonds.
4. In large bowl, with electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter until smooth. Beat in sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and almond extracts and beat until blended.
5. Reduce mixer speed to low. Alternately beat flour mixture and milk into butter mixture in three additions, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating well after each addition.
6. In clean medium bowl, with clean beaters, beat egg whites with cream of tartar on medium-low until soft peaks form. Fold one-third of whites into batter. Gently fold in remaining whites, being careful not to overmix batter. Pour batter into prepared pans.
7. Bake in 350° oven until a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, 35 to 45 minutes. Cool cakes in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Invert cakes onto wire racks. Remove pans. Let cool completely.
8. To assemble: Have well-chilled White Chocolate Frosting ready and waiting in the refrigerator. Place cooled cake layers on clean work surface. With long serrated knife, cut each cake in half horizontally. Place bottom half of square cake, cut side up, on platter or foil-covered piece of heavy cardboard. Spread top evenly with 1/2 cup tinted frosting. Arrange half the raspberries over top. Spread with another 1/2 cup tinted frosting. Gently place top half of square cake, cut side down, on top. With metal spatula, spread any oozing frosting evenly against sides of cake. Spread 1/3 cup tinted frosting over
rounded surface of one half of round cake. Place, frosted side down, in center of square cake. Spread top with 1/3 cup tinted frosting. Place remaining raspberries over top. Spread with remaining tinted frosting. Cover with top half of round cake, cut side down. Spread any oozing frosting evenly against side of cake.
9. Using small metal spatula, spread untinted frosting over entire cake (both tiers) in thin layer. Then frost entire cake with thicker layer. Decorate as pictured or as desired, using a pastry bag fitted with different tips. Refrigerate until serving time. Let come to room temperature to serve.