Mock Saddle Of Venison Cake
|Bread crumbs||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Citron||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Almonds||1⁄4 Pound, grated|
|Unsweetened chocolate||1 Cup (16 tbs), grated|
|Heavy cream||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Butter||5 Tablespoon, unsalted|
|Cocoa||1 Cup (16 tbs), sifted|
|Sugar||1 1⁄3 Cup (21.33 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Blanched almonds||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) Preheat oven to 350°F before baking.
2) Lightly butter a 4-by-12-inch loaf pan or a Rehriicken mold using a paper towel or pastry brush and dust it heavily with bread crumbs.
3) Turn the pan upside down and shake it to remove the bread crumbs that do not stick to the butter.
4) Beat the egg whites until they foam, using a wire whisk or rotary or electric beater and then whisk in 1/4 cup of the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time.
5) Beat continuously until the whites reach a stiff stage, unwavering peaks when the beater is lifted from the bowl.
6) In a large mixing bowl, mix together yolks, the whole eggs and the rest of the sugar.
7) Beat the mixture until it is pale yellow and quite thick with the same beater you used before.
8) Whisk in cinnamon, citron, almonds and chocolate.
9) Again beat continuously until all the ingredients are thoroughly blended.
10) Mix about 1/4 of the egg whites into the batter using a rubber spatula and then pour the batter back over the rest of the whites.
11) Fold them together until no trace of the whites remains using an over-and-under cutting motion instead of a mixing motion.
12) Into the prepared loaf pan or Rehriicken mold, pour the batter and bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the middle of preheated oven until the cake shrinks slightly away from the sides of the pan, is golden brown and is springy to the touch.
13) Take off the cake from the oven and keep aside to cool for 2 or 3 minutes.
14) Remove the cake out on a rack and arrange the rack on a jelly-roll pan.
15) Allow the cake to cool further.
16) In the meantime, for the chocolate glaze, take a small heavy saucepan and mix together cream, butter, salt, cocoa and sugar in it.
17) Cook the mixture for about 5 minutes over very low heat, stirring constantly, until the icing is smooth and thick.
18) Take it off from heat and mix in the vanilla extract.
19) Allow the icing to cool for about 5 minutes.
20) Pour the icing over the cake evenly by holding the saucepan about 2 inches above it.
21) In a regular pattern, press the almonds upright into the icing about an inch apart.
22) Make rows of 5 or 6 almond halves across and 10 lengthwise.
23) Allow the cake to cool completely for about 45 minutes before serving.
24) Cut Rehriicken in such a way that one of the shorter rows of almond halves decorates each serving.
25) Serve at once.