Golden Christmas Cake
|Crystallized pineapple||4 Ounce (100 gram)|
|Glace cherries||4 Ounce (100 gram)|
|Chopped walnuts||4 Ounce (100 gram)|
|Seedless raisins/Sultanas||12 Ounce (350 gram)|
|Self raising flour||9 Ounce (250 gram)|
|Salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Butter||6 Ounce (175 gram)|
|Castor sugar||6 Ounce (175 gram)|
|Vanilla essence||1 Teaspoon|
1) Preheat slow oven hot to 300°F, 150°C or Gas No. 2.
2) Rinse crystallized pineapple and glace cherries in warm water and remove the outer sugary coating.
3) Pat dry with paper towels and cut pineapple into cubes and cut cherries into quarters.
4) In a basin add fruit with chopped walnuts and seedless raisins or sultanas.
5) In a large bowl sieve together flour and salt. Keep aside.
6) In a bowl cream butter and sugar together until soft and light.
7) In a bowl add eggs and vanilla essence together. Mix lightly.
8) Fold little at a time into the creamed mixture.
9) Mix little flour with the last few additions of egg.
10) In a basin add sifted flour mixture alternately with sherry or milk.
11) Fold in the prepared fruit and nuts.
12) In a greased and lined, 8-inch, round, deep cake tin spoon the mixture.
13) Spoon the mixture evenly creating a well at the centre.
14) Keep on shelf below centre of a preheated slow oven (300°F, 150°C or Gas No. 2) and bake for 1 hours.
15) Decrease heat to slow (300°F, 150°C or Gas No. 2) and bake for a further 1 1/2-2 hours.
16) Insert a warm skewer into the centre. It should come out clean.
17) Cool the baked cake in tin.
18) Glaze cake with apricot glaze and cover with almond paste.
19) Let stand for sometime for the paste to dry out and decorate with royal icing.