Deep South Yam Cake
|Flour||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Soft margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Yams/Sweet potatoes||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), cooked, mashed|
|Sweetened rhubarb sauce||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), drained|
|Orange juice concentrate||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), frozen, thawed|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Orange peel||1⁄2 Teaspoon, grated|
|Raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Walnuts/Pecans||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Unsweetened chocolate squares||1 Ounce, melted (1 Square)|
1) Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2) In a bowl, sift the flour, baking powder baking soda, salt and cinnamon together.
3) In a bowl, cream the margarine and sugar together.
4) Stir in rest of the ingredients, mix well.
5) Blend in the flour mixture to make a slightly stiff batter.
6) In a greased 8-inch square pan, lined with a waxed paper at the bottom, evenly spread the mixture.
7) Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes.
8) Allow to cool in the pan on a rack, turn out and remove the paper, then frost, as desired.
9) Slice and serve on a serving platter.