Orange and Walnut Cake
|Self-raising flour||8 Ounce (225 Gram)|
|Salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Butter||6 Ounce (175 Gram)|
|Castor sugar||6 Ounce (175 Gram)|
|Orange||1 Large, rinded|
|Orange rind||1 Large|
|Mixed peel||1 Ounce, chopped (25 Gram)|
|Walnuts||2 Ounce, chopped (50 Gram)|
|For the orange icing|
|Icing sugar||8 Ounce (225 Gram)|
|Orange juice||3 Tablespoon|
1) Preheat oven hot to 350°F, 180°C or Gas No. 4
2) In a plate sift flour and salt. Keep aside.
3) In a bowl cream butter and sugar until light.
4) Lightly mix eggs. Add grated orange rind and mix.
5) Mix some sifted flour with the last few additions.
6) With a metal spoon, mix remaining flour, chopped peel, walnuts and orange juice.
7) Fill mixture into greased and lined, 7-inch (18-cm), round, deep cake tin.
8) Spread the mixture evenly keeping a hollow at the center.
9) Keep in oven and bake for 1 1/4 hours.
10) Let stand for 5-1'0 minutes to cool and then turn out the cool.
11) Let cool completely before decorating.
12) To make the icing, in a mixing basin sieve icing sugar. Stir in strained orange juice and blend to a smooth paste.
13) Transfer the mixture into a small saucepan and warm gently over a low heat. Beat constantly. The icing should not become too hot.
14) Pour warm icing over the cake all at once. With a knife spread over the top surface and sides.
15) Keep aside to cool until firm.
16) Serve cut in slices.
Calories 541 Calories from Fat 210
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 24 g37.1%
Saturated Fat 12 g60%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 125 mg41.7%
Sodium 462.1 mg19.3%
Total Carbohydrates 76 g25.4%
Dietary Fiber 2.5 g10%
Sugars 52.3 g
Protein 7 g13.5%
Vitamin A 14.1% Vitamin C 36.9%
Calcium 13.8% Iron 10.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet