Salmon Fish Cakes
|Canned pink salmon||1 Pound (1 Tin, 450 Gram)|
|Potatoes||1 Pound (450 Gram)|
|Pepper||To Taste, milled|
|Pepper||To Taste, freshly milled|
|Parsley||1 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Tomato ketchup||1 Tablespoon|
|Lemon||1 , squeezed|
|Toasted breadcrumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) Drain the salmon from the tin, flake the flesh and remove the skin and small bones.
2) Peel the potatoes and cook in boiling salted water until tender.
3) Drain, return the potatoes to the hot pan and dry over the heat for a few moments.
4) In a bowl, sieve the potatoes.
5) Season well with salt and pepper.
6) Add the salmon, parsley, tomato ketchup and lemon juice and mix with a fork.
7) Lightly mix the egg and add a little to the salmon mixture, enough to bind the mixture together.
8) Check the seasoning in the mixture, adding a little more if necessary.
9) In a shallow dish, pour the remaining eggs and have the breadcrumbs for coating ready on a plate.
10) Turn the salmon mixture out on to a lightly-floured working surface and shape into a thick roll.
11) Set aside in a cool place to firm up a little.
12) Divide the mixture into eight portions and shape them into neat fish cakes.
13) Place them in turn in the egg and coat all over.
14) Lift out, drain for a minute, then place in the bed of dry breadcrumbs and coat evenly.
15) Pat the extra crumbs.
16) Freeze without wrapping until firm, then place in polythene bags in suitable numbers for serving.
17) Tie tightly and store in the freezer.
18) To serve: In a frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil and 2 oz (50 g) butter.
19) Add the frozen fish cakes and cook for 5 minutes each side, or until heated through and brown.
20) serve the hot fish cakes with sauce of your choice.
Calories 312 Calories from Fat 85
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g14.5%
Saturated Fat 0.84 g4.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 111.8 mg37.3%
Sodium 545.2 mg22.7%
Total Carbohydrates 20 g6.8%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.3%
Sugars 1.9 g
Protein 33 g66.9%
Vitamin A 7.3% Vitamin C 50.2%
Calcium 4.9% Iron 10%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet