|Sifted all purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Measured After Sifting)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground nutmeg||1 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable oil||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Use Buttery Variety)|
|Eggs||3 Large (At Room Temperature)|
|Buttermilk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Fig preserves||1 Cup (16 tbs), stems removed, cut into 4 pieces|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|White corn syrup||2 Tablespoon|
1) Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2) Into a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt.
3) With a spoon, blend the mixture well.
4) Add oil, eggs and vanilla to this.
5) Beat in an electric mixer for 2 or 3 minutes, at medium speed.
6) To this, add buttermilk and figs and beat again for 2 minutes at medium speed.
7) Into an ungreased 9x13 inch pan, pour this cake mix.
8) Bake for 45 minutes, or till done. Test with a straw in the center to check.
9) Remove to a wire rack and cool well.
10) In a large and deep pan, add all the topping ingredients.
11) Bring to a boil over medium heat and continue to boil for 3 minutes.
12) Add enough hot topping to cover the top of the cooled cake.
13) Serve the cake warm, topped with hot topping.
For best results, leave the cake in the pan and serve from the pan.