Raspberry Mirror Cake
|White cake mix packet||18 1⁄4 Ounce (Pudding And Cake Mix, 1 Box Of 1 Pound And 2.25 Ounce)|
|Cake pudding mix||18 1⁄4 Ounce (1 Box Of White Variety, 1 Pound And 2.25 Ounce)|
|Water||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Seedless raspberry preserves||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), softened|
|Powdered sugar||1 Pound (Use About 4 Cups)|
|Sugar||1 Pound, powdered to make about 4 cups|
|Kirsch/1 teaspoon almond / vanilla extract plus milk||3 Tablespoon|
|Frozen raspberry cranberry blend juice concentrate||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Frozen raspberry cranberry blend juice concentrate||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs), thawed|
|Fresh raspberries||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Fresh mint sprigs||5 (If Desired)|
1) Preheat oven hot to 350°F. If using dark or nonstick pans, heat oven to 325°F.
2) Take two 9-inch round cake pans and grease with shortening. Sprinkle flour lightly over it.
3) In large bowl, add cake mix, water, oil and egg whites.
4) Beat with electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds until blended.
5) Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Scrape the bowl occasionally.
6) Spoon the batter into pans.
7) Bake for 23 to 28 minutes.
8) Let stand in pans and cool on racks for 15 minutes.
9) Take out the cakes from pans and cool completely for 30 minutes.
10) Mix raspberry preserves and blend until smooth. Cover and keep aside.
11) In a large bowl, add shortening and butter. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed until creamy.
12) Mix powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
13) Stir in 2 tablespoons kirsch. Add more kirsch and beat. Set aside.
14) Trim cake layers to even it out.
15) On a serving plate put 1 cake layer keeping the trimmed side down.
16) Spoon 1/2 cup frosting over it and spread evenly.
17) Spread raspberry preserves evenly on top.
18) Place remaining cake layer over it keeping the trimmed side down.
19) Spread the top with 1/2 cup frosting and smoothen out the top.
20) Reserve 1/2 cup frosting for piping.
21) Spread the sides with remaining frosting.
22) Fill reserved frosting into small decorating bag fitted with small star tip.
23) Decorate the edge around top and bottom edge of cake.
24) In a small saucepan add juice concentrate and cornstarch. Mix well.
25) Heat to boil and stir over medium-low heat until thick.
26) Take off from heat.
27) Cool the mixture at room temperature for 10 minutes until thick.
28) Spoon on the top of cake and spread evenly. Spread to piped edges of frosting.
29) Before serving, place raspberries around top edge of cake.
20) Garnish with mint sprigs.