|All purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Lard||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cream of tartar||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Small Cup)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Mixed spices/All spice||2 Teaspoon|
|Apple||1 , pared, thinly sliced|
|Sugar||1 Teaspoon (A Sprinkling)|
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) Soak the currants in hot water for about 10 minutes. Mix them together with sugar and all spice. Keep the filling aside.
3) In a bowl, add flour and cream of tartar and mix together well. Transfer into a pastry blender and drop in bits of lard while it is moving.
4) As the mixture starts getting coarser, add in water to knead it into a dough.
5) Divide the dough into two equal portions. Roll each portion into rounds big enough to cover a large jelly roll pan.
6) Place a rolled-out pastry over the baking pan. Add in the currants filling spreading it out evenly.
7) Layer thin slices of an apple over the filling and place the second rolled-out pastry over the filling. Secure the edges gently and make little on top using a fork.
8) Gently brush the top with a light layer of milk and dust a little sugar over it.
9) Bake the cake for about 50 to 60 minutes.
10) Slice the Currant Cake and serve with whipped cream.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4382 Calories from Fat 1891
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 210 g323.1%
Saturated Fat 81.2 g405.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 195.2 mg65.1%
Sodium 18.1 mg0.8%
Total Carbohydrates 583 g194.4%
Dietary Fiber 35.9 g143.7%
Sugars 255.1 g
Protein 46 g91.3%
Vitamin A 5.5% Vitamin C 321.4%
Calcium 22.3% Iron 124%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet