Coconut Coffee Cake
|Active dry yeast||1 Tablespoon (1 Package)|
|Sifted all-purpose flour||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Flaked coconut||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1 Tablespoon, melted|
|Coconut topping||2 Tablespoon|
|Confectioners sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. To make coconut topping: In small mixing bowl, combine 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar.
2. Slice in 2 tablespoons butter or margarine till mixture is crumbly. Add 1/4 cup flaked coconut.
3.To make confectioners' Icing: Mix 1/2 cup sifted confectioners' sugar and 2 teaspoons milk.
4. Take a small mixer bowl and mix 1 cup of flour with yeast.
5. In a saucepan, heat milk, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup butter and salt till warm. Keep stirring.
6. In mixer bowl, mix the dry mixture and stir in egg.
7. Use an electric mixer to beat the mixture for Â½ minutes. Scrape also sides of the bowl while beating.
8. After that, beat at high speed for 3 minutes.
9. Use the remaining flour to make medium stiff dough.
10. Place the dough on lightly floured surface and knead for 3 to 5 more minutes.
11. Take a greased bowl and place the dough in it. Turn the dough once.
12. Cover and bowl and let it rise in warm place for 1 hour or till double.
13. Mix coconut and 1/4 cup sugar. Turn dough out on floured surface. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
14. Roll dough to make a 12 x 8-inch rectangle. Brush melted butter on the top.
15. Sprinkle coconut-sugar mixture. Roll up, starting with long side.
16. Slice into 12 1-inch pieces.
17. In greased 9 x 1 1/2-inch round baking pan, place the dough and slice the side down.
18. Sprinkle coconut topping over coffee cake.
19. Let rise in warm place till double, about 30 minutes.
20. Place in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes or till golden brown.
21. Remove from pan and cool right side up. Drizzle Confectioners' Icing on the top of the cooled coffee cake.
22. Serve in a serving dish.