Never Fail Angel Food Cake
|Cake flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), sifted|
|Egg whites||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Water||1 Tablespoon, cold|
|Cream of tartar||1 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Almond extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1) With ice water, chill mixing bowl, wire egg beater and tube pan.
2) Into a bowl, sift the flour 4 times. Measure after each sifting.
3) Sift the flour once again.
4) To this, add 1/2 cup of sugar. Keep aside.
5) In a bowl, sift together the salt and the remaining sugar.
6) Beat egg whites along with 1 tablespoon cold water to a frothy mix.
7) To this, add cream of tartar.
8) Continue beating this mix until there are no more air bubbles.
9) Then slowly add sugar, salt, vanilla and almond extract.
10) Now, fold in the flour and sugar mixture, slowly.
11) To an ungreased cold, damp tube pan, fold in the mix and place in cold oven.
12) Turn on the heat to 275 degrees.
13) Bake in the oven for 1 hour. Then, remove.
14) Turn the cake upside down.
15) On the cake, place a damp cloth. This helps the cake to steam and cool in an hour.
16) Slice the cake into three layers.
17) Prepare the icing by whipping 1 pint of whipping cream, along with 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1 1/2 cups of ground pecans. Add vanilla if desired.
18) Ice the cake layers with this mix and serve within a day.