Sponge Cake With Cherries
|Sweet black cherries||1 Cup (16 tbs), pitted (Canned)|
|Eggs||3 , separated|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon peel||1⁄2 Teaspoon, grated|
|Lemon juice||2 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|All-purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sifted|
1) Set the oven temperature to 350Â°F before baking.
2) Butter the bottom of a 9-inch layer-cake pan using a pastry brush or paper towel.
3) Into a sieve or colander, pour the cherries and allow them to drain while you prepare the batter.
4) Take a mixing bowl and beat the egg whites with the salt in it using a wire whisk or a rotary or electric beater, until they foam.
5) Whisk in sugar, a tablespoon at a time, beating continuously until the whites form stiff, unwavering peaks when the beater is lifted from the bowl.
6) Using a fork beat the egg yolks lightly and then mix in lemon peel, lemon juice and vanilla extract.
7) Combine about 1/4 of the beaten egg whites with the egg yolks and then pour back this egg yolk mixture over the remaining whites.
8) Dust with flour on top.
9) Mix the egg whites using a rubber spatula, until no traces of the whites remains. Ensure not to overfold.
10) Into the pan, pour the batter and cover with cherries evenly over it.
11) Bake the cake for 35 to 40 minutes in the middle of preheated oven, until the cake is golden brown and springy to the touch.
12) Place them in the pan to allow cooling.
13) Serve in slices.