|For the cake|
|Unsalted butter||1⁄2 Pound, softened|
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Eggs||4 Small, slightly beaten|
|All-purpose flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|For the filling:|
|Sugar||1 1⁄3 Cup (21.33 tbs)|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Water||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Unsweetened cocoa||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Dark Variety)|
|Vanilla extract||2 Teaspoon|
|Unsalted butter||1 Pound, softened (2 Cups)|
|Sugar||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
1) Set the oven temperature to 350Â°F before baking.
2) Take a mixing bowl and beat butter and sugar together against the side of it until creamy, using a wooden spoon.
3) Whisk in eggs and then mix in flour and the vanilla extract.
4) Stir continuously until the mixture becomes a smooth, firm batter.
5) Butter the underside of a 9-inch layer-cake pan using a pastry brush or paper towel and then sprinkle it with flour.
6) Tap the pan against the edge of a table to remove any excess flour.
7) Spread the batter as evenly as possible over the underside of the pan to a thickness of 1/8 inch using a metal spatula.
8) Bake for 7 to 9 minutes in the middle of preheated oven until the layer is lightly browned around the edges.
9) Take off the cake from oven and stir any batter that has leaked down the sides of the pan.
10) Using a spatula release the layer from the pan and then invert the cake onto a cake rack.
11) Using a paper towel, wipe the pan and then butter and flour it again.
12) Continue the same baking process with more batter, making 7 exactly matching layers until all the batter is used.
13) Take a small saucepan and mix together sugar, cream of tartar and water in it for the filling.
14) Mix this over low heat until the sugar is fully dissolved and then increase the heat to moderately high.
15) Allow the syrup to boil without stirring until it registers a temperature of 238Â°F on a candy thermometer. The temperature can also be tested until a drop of the syrup in cold water forms a soft ball.
16) In the meantime, beat 8 egg yolks for 3 or 4 minutes in a mixer, or by hand using a rotary or electric beater, or long enough to thicken them and lighten them somewhat in color.
17) Mix the hot syrup with the eggs, beating continuously as the syrup is poured in a slow, steady stream.
18) Beat the mixture at medium speed for 10 to 15 minutes until it cools to room temperature and changes to a thick, smooth cream, in case you are using a mixer.
19) Set the mixing bowl in a pan of cold water to speed up the cooling process and add the syrup a little at a time, in case you are beating by hand.
20) Beat continuously until the cream is cool, thick and smooth.
21) Further whisk in cocoa and vanilla extract.
22) Finally beat in butter, mixing it in small pieces until it is all absorbed.
23) Keep the filling in refrigerator while the glaze is prepared.
24) On a cake rack set on a jelly-roll pan, first place the most attractive of the cake layers.
25) For the glaze, combine together sugar and water together in a small heavy saucepan.
26) Cook this until the sugar dissolves, boils and darken in color, without stirring.
27) Continue boiling until the caramel becomes a golden brown, swirling the pan, and then spoon it over the layer.
28) Quickly mark the glaze into 16 equal wedges using a buttered knife, slicing nearly, but not quite, through to the bottom of the glaze.
29) This layer would serve as the top of the Torte.
30) On a serving plate, arrange a cake layer and then spread chocolate filling over it to a thickness of 1/8 inch using a metal spatula.
31) Top with another cake layer.
32) Repeat with other layers, completing with a layer of filling and the glazed top.
33) Cover the sides of the cake using the rest of the chocolate filling, smoothing it on using a spatula and then chill in refrigerator.
34) Cut the torte along the lines marked in the glaze and serve cold.
Calories 1125 Calories from Fat 676
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 78 g120.1%
Saturated Fat 45.7 g228.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 448.3 mg149.4%
Sodium 43.9 mg1.8%
Total Carbohydrates 103 g34.3%
Dietary Fiber 6.6 g26.3%
Sugars 75.5 g
Protein 11 g21.8%
Vitamin A 48.7% Vitamin C
Calcium 5.4% Iron 10.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet