Cold Method Sponge Cake
|Unsalted butter||3 Tablespoon|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Eggs||6 Large (At Room Temperature)|
|Sugar||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs), divided|
|Cake flour/All purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs), sifted|
1) Preheat oven to 350°F
2) To prepare the cake – place the rack in the center of oven.
3) Grease a 9-inch springform pan. Arrange a round of parchment or wax paper at the base of the pan.
4) Dust the pan with flour, coating evenly and tap out the excess flour.
5) In a small saucepan boil butter over medium heat.
6) Cook for 1 minute till the specks of milk solids in butter are lightly browned.
7) Take the pan off heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
8) Skim the foam from the top and pour into a medium bowl. Leave the brown bits in the pan.
9) Add vanilla into the pan.
10) In a bowl using a hand-held electric mixer beat eggs yolks with 1/3 cup of the sugar on high speed for 3 minutes till pale and forms a ribbon when the beaters are lifted a few inches.
11) In another bowl beat the whites with beaters on high speed till soft peak forms.
12) Gently beat in remaining 1/3 cup of the sugar till peaks are shiny and stiff.
13) Add a large dollop of whites into yolks and fold in the remaining whites.
14) Add flour and salt.
15) Sift the flour over the eggs in two additions and using a large balloon whisk or rubber spatula fold together.
16) Add a large dollop of batter into melted butter and whisk. Fold this mixture back into the batter.
17) Pour mixture into the pan and even the top.
18) Bake for about 30 minutes till top springs back when pressed in the center.
19) Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
20) Using metal spatula remove the sides of the pan, invert onto the rack, and remove the bottom of the pan and the paper.
21) Invert on another rack and cool completely.
22) Serve cold.