Individual Strawberry Or Plum Shortcakes
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Brown sugar||7 Tablespoon, firmly packed|
|Unsalted butter||4 Tablespoon|
|Buttermilk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Skim milk||2 Tablespoon|
|Granulated sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Macerated strawberries/Vanilla, poached||1 Tablespoon|
|Plums||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Low fat vanilla yogurt||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
1) Preheat oven to 425°F.
2) Make the biscuits: In a large bowl add the first five ingredients and whisk together.
3) Using a pastry blender or two forks, blend in butter till the mixture resembles coarse meal.
4) With a fork add the buttermilk till it forms dough.
5) On a floured board knead the dough six to eight times.
6) On a buttered baking sheet drop 8 mounds at a time.
7) Brush mounds with skim milk.
8) Sprinkle sugar on top and bake for 15 to 20 minutes till golden.
9) Transfer to a rack to cool.
10) Reserve shortcakes after cooking completely and wrapping tightly in plastic wrap.
11) Bake biscuits at warm oven at 300°F before serving. Make biscuits 8 hours ahead.
12) Split biscuits around the middle with a sharp knife.
13) Put at the center of eight dessert plates.
14) Top with one-eighth of macerated strawberries or poached plums and 2 to 3 tablespoons of vanilla yogurt.
15) Place the biscuit on top of the yogurt.
Calories 270 Calories from Fat 63
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g11.1%
Saturated Fat 4.3 g21.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 18.7 mg6.2%
Sodium 249.2 mg10.4%
Total Carbohydrates 46 g15.3%
Dietary Fiber 1.2 g4.8%
Sugars 20.7 g
Protein 6 g12.8%
Vitamin A 5.8% Vitamin C 4.8%
Calcium 18.3% Iron 9.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet