|Raisins||12 Ounce (2 Cups)|
|Sultanas||12 Ounce (2 Cups)|
|Currants||8 Ounce (1 1/3 Cups)|
|Mixed peel||4 Ounce (1/3 Cups)|
|Glace cherries||4 Ounce (1/3 Cups)|
|Glace apricots||2 Ounce (1/3 Cups)|
|Glace pineapple||2 Ounce (1/3 Cups)|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||8 Ounce (1 1/3 Cups)|
|Finely grated lemon rind||1|
|Lemon, rind||1 Teaspoon, finely grated|
|Orange rind||1 Teaspoon, finely grated|
|Finely grated orange rind||1|
|Golden syrup||3 Tablespoon|
|Plain flour||10 Ounce (2 1/2 Cups)|
|Garam masala||1 Teaspoon, mixed|
|Garam masala/Mixed spice||1 Teaspoon|
|Blanched almonds||1 Tablespoon (Extra, To Decorate)|
|Blanched almonds||1 Tablespoon|
1. Wash sultanas, raisins and currants. Dry thoroughly.
2. Finely chop the raisins.
3. In a bowl, add the sultanas, chopped raisins, currants and the coarsely chopped glace fruits.
4. Pour a little brandy on the top and let it soak overnight.
5. Preheat the oven at 300°F.
6. Take a greased deep 8-inch cake tin and line it with two thicknesses of greased greaseproof paper and two thicknesses of brown.
7. Beat butter and brown sugar with lemon and orange rind.
8. Stir in golden syrup and beat again.
9. Gradually, stir in eggs one by one and keep beating after adding every eggs.
10. If mixture shows signs of curdling beat in 1 tablespoon of the measured flour with the next egg. Sift flour, spices and salt.
11. Add creamed mixture alternately with fruit dusted with chopped almonds and sifted flour.
12. In a prepared tin, add the mixture and arrange the extra blanched almonds.
13. Place the tin in the oven for 4-4 1/2 hours.
14. Remove the pan from the oven and quickly turn cake upside down over a clean tea towel. Remove the tin and peel off the paper.
15. Sprinkle rum and brandy over the top.
16. Replace paper and place tin on cake while easing over cake.
17. Turn over and wrap in a cloth. Allow to cool.
18. Serve in a serving dish at room temperature.
Calories 908 Calories from Fat 262
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 30 g45.9%
Saturated Fat 16.1 g80.6%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 193.1 mg64.4%
Sodium 258.2 mg10.8%
Total Carbohydrates 156 g51.9%
Dietary Fiber 8.4 g33.5%
Sugars 99.7 g
Protein 11 g22.3%
Vitamin A 25.4% Vitamin C 70.7%
Calcium 16% Iron 17.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet