Apricot Almond Coffee Cake
|Dried apricots||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), snipped|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Almonds||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), chopped|
1. Take a 9 x 1 1/2-inch round cake pan or a 9 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan and grease it.
2. Take a saucepan and place it on low heat.
3. Combine the snipped apricots and water in the saucepan
4. Simmer the mixture without covering it for 15 minutes.
5. Take the saucepan out of the heat and cool the mixture.
6. Drain the mixture and reserve the liquid.
7. In a mixing bowl, pour the liquid and add enough milk to make a resultant 1/2 cup liquid.
8. In another bowl, place the shortening and granulated sugar and cream the mixture.
9. Now add the egg and beat the mixture well.
10. In a third bowl, add 1 1/2 cups flour, the baking powder, salt, and cinnamon and mix them together.
11. Add the flour mixture to the creamed sugar mixture alternating with the milk mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
12. Stir in the apricots to the resultant mixture.
13. Take the greased cake pan and turn the mixture into it.
14. In a fourth bowl, add the brown sugar and the all-purpose cup flour and mix together.
15. To this, add the butter or margarine and cut in till it forms a crumbly texture.
16. Mix the almonds to this mixture.
17. Sprinkle the almond mixture over the batter in the cake pan.
18. In the oven, place the pan and bake at 350 degree Fahrenheit for 40 to 45 minutes.
19. Serve the cake warm with coffee.