Festive Rum Cake
|Pecans/Walnuts||1 Cup (16 tbs), finely chopped|
|Yellow cake mix||18 1⁄2 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Instant vanilla pudding mix||3 3⁄4 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dark rum||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Grease a large (3 quart or 12-cup) microwave baking dish, generously with butter or oil
2. Sprinkle the nuts in an even layer in the greased baking dish.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine remaining ingredients except rum.
4. Use an electric beater to beat the ingredients at a medium speed for almost 4 minutes until well blended and smooth.
5. Pour the batter and spread evenly over nuts in baking dish.
6. Place the dish in the microwave and cook on HIGH power for about 14 minutes until the cake leaves the sides or the dish and is spongy to touch. A skewer should come out clean when inserted in the center.
7. Cover the dish with a lid and let stand for about 10 minutes.
8. Use a fork to gently prick small holes in the crust of the cake.
9. Pour the rum over warm cake and let stand to soak.
10. Invert cake onto a serving platter.
11. Store covered until ready to serve.
12. Slice the cake into thin slices and serve. Best when slightly warm
You can also use a rum glaze made with sugar syrup and rum to soak the cake if you like a more moist cake.