Individual Strawberry Shortcake
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Baking powder||3 Teaspoon|
|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Soft butter/Margarine||2 Tablespoon|
1. Set aside 6 large berries and then slice the rest of the berries into medium bowl; gently stir in 1 cup sugar. Refrigerate while making shortcake.
2. Preheat oven to 450F to make the shortcake.
3. Into large bowl, sift flour, 1/4 cup sugar, the baking powder, and salt. With pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Add egg, stirring with fork until well combined. Add milk, all at once, stirring until dough cleans side of bowl.
4. Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface; knead gently 8 to 10 times, or until smooth. Roll out about 1/2 inch thick. With lightly floured 3-1/2- inch round cookie cutter, cut out 6 rounds of dough.
5. Arrange, 1 inch apart, on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until light golden.
6. In small bowl, whip cream until stiff.
7. Split warm shortcakes in half crosswise.
8. Place bottom halves, cut side up, on dessert plates. Spread with butter; spoon on half of sliced strawberries. Top with other shortcake halves, then remaining berries.
9. Garnish with whipped cream and whole berries and serve immediately