Colette's Chocolate Cake
|Sweet cooking bars||16 Ounce|
|Soft sweet butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||4 Teaspoon|
1. Lightly grease a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan and line with waxed paper.
2. Preheat oven to 425F.
3. Separate eggs and place whites and yolks in separate large bowls.
4. Let whites warm to room temperature—about 1 hour.
5. In top of double boiler, melt chocolate over hot, not boiling, water, stirring occasionally.
6. Remove from water and beat in butter with spoon.
7. With portable electric mixer, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form when beater is slowly raised and set aside.
8. With same beater, beat yolks until thick and lemon-colored.
9. Slowly add sugar, beating constantly, add flour and beat just until blended.
10. Stir into chocolate mixture.
11. With rubber scraper or a wire whisk, gently fold chocolate mixture into beaten egg white.
12. Turn into prepared pan.
13. Reduce oven temperature to 350F and bake for 25 minutes.
14. Let cool completely in pan on wire rack.
15. Cake will settle like a cheesecake.
16. Refrigerate until well chilled—about 4 hours.
17. Loosen cake remove from pan by inverting on serving plate.
18. If desired, decorate with chocolate curls and cut cake into 3/4-inch slices.
19. Serve with garnish as desired.
This is a heavy, rich, moist cake, almost like a pudding, that keeps well under refrigeration.