Fresh Potato-Fruit Coffee Cake
|Dry yeast||1 Tablespoon|
|Scalded milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Mashed potatoes||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 Large, lightly beaten|
|Flour||2 Cup (32 tbs), sifted|
|Melted butter||6 Tablespoon|
|Mixed glazed fruits||1 Cup (16 tbs), diced|
|Ground cinnamon||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Egg white||1 Large|
1) Preheat oven to 350° F.
2) Take 1/2 cup warm water and dissolve yeast in it.
3) Grease and flour 2 8-inch ring molds.
4) Take a large bowl and combine in it shortening, milk, 1/3 cup sugar, salt and potatoes in it. Cool the mixture to lukewarm.
5) Add eggs and yeast. Blend well.
6) Add 1 1/2 cup flour and mix well.
7) Cover and let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until bubbly.
8) Stir I enough remaining flour to make stiff dough. Use only as much flour as required.
9) Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead until elastic and smooth.
10) Place in a lightly greased bowl and turn upside the greased surface.
11) Cover and refrigerate overnight.
12) Roll out dough on a lightly floured board to 1 inch thickness.
13) Cut using a 2 inch biscuit cutter.
14) Dip each round in melted butter and then into the glaceed fruits.
15) Combine cinnamon and 3/4 cup sugar. Dip the rounds in prepared mixture.
16) Stand the rounds up in the prepared pans.
17) Sprinkle with any remaining fruit.
18) Take a bowl and beat egg white until frothy dn foamy. Brush on the cakes.
19) Let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until double in bulk.
20) Bake in the oven for about 35 minutes.
21) Serve warm at snack time.
Calories 422 Calories from Fat 174
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g30.3%
Saturated Fat 8 g40.1%
Trans Fat 1.3 g
Cholesterol 64.2 mg21.4%
Sodium 438.7 mg18.3%
Total Carbohydrates 56 g18.7%
Dietary Fiber 3.5 g14.1%
Sugars 16.7 g
Protein 8 g15.1%
Vitamin A 6% Vitamin C 14.8%
Calcium 4.2% Iron 9.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet