Baba Au Rhum
|Warm water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (105 To 115 F)|
|Active dry yeast||2 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||3 3⁄4 Cup (60 tbs), sifted|
|Butter||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), softened|
|Citron||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped|
|Currants/Seedless raisins||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Orange||1 Medium, sliced crosswise (Unpeeled)|
|Light rum||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Apricot preserves||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lemon peel||1 Teaspoon, grated|
|Lemon juice||2 Teaspoon|
1. Lightly grease a 10-by-4-inch tube pan.
2. If possible, check temperature of warm water with thermometer.
3. Sprinkle yeast over water in large bowl of electric mixer and stir until dissolved.
4. Add 1/4 cup sugar, the salt, eggs and 2-1/4 cups flour.
5. At medium speed, beat 4 minutes until smooth, scraping side of bowl and guiding mixture into beater with rubber scraper.
6. Add butter beat 2 minutes until very well blended.
7. At low speed, beat in rest of flour and beat until smooth—about 2 minutes.
8. Stir in citron and currants to get a thick batter.
9. Turn batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly and cover with towel.
10. Let it rise in warm place (85F), free from drafts, 1 hour and 10 minutes until baba has risen to within 1/2 inch of top of pan.
11. Preheat oven to 400F.
12. Gently place baba on oven rack without letting it to fall.
13. Bake 40 to 45 minutes until it is deep golden- brown and cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
To make Rum Syrup:
14. In medium saucepan, combine sugar with 2 cups water bring to boiling, stirring until sugar is dissolved and boil, uncovered for 10 minutes.
15. Reduce heat add orange and lemon slices and simmer for 10 minutes.
16. Remove from heat and add rum.
17. With metal spatula, carefully loosen sides of baba from pan.
18. Turn out of pan onto wire rack let it cool for 15 minutes and return baba to pan.
19. Set pan on large sheet of foil.
20. Gradually pour hot syrup, along with fruit slices, over baba and continue pouring until all syrup is absorbed.
21. Let baba stand for 2 hours or longer.
To make Apricot Glaze:
22. In a small saucepan, over low heat, melt apricot preserves.
23. Stir in lemon peel and juice and strain.
24. Refrigerate 30 minutes until ready to use.
25. Discard fruit slices and turn out baba onto round serving platter.
26. Brush top and side with apricot glaze and if desired, serve with whipped cream.