Christmas Yule Log Cake
|Eggs||6 , separated|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Grated lemon rind||1⁄2|
|Sifted flour||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Cornstarch||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Butter||1 Teaspoon (To Grease Pan)|
|For vanilla butter frosting|
|Grand marnier||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|For chocolate butter frosting|
|Unsweetened chocolate||5 Ounce (5 Squares)|
|Confectioners sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Hot water||6 Tablespoon|
|Butter||12 Tablespoon, softened and diced|
|Apricot jam||2 Tablespoon|
|Instant coffee/Cocoa||1 Teaspoon|
|Glace cherries||1 Ounce|
1. Grease a 9 1/2 –inch X 13 1/2 -inch jelly roll or Swiss roll pan with butter and dust with.
2. Sift 3/4 cup flour and cornstarch. Keep aside
3. Before baking the cake, preheat oven to 350°F.
4. In a large mixing bowl of an electric beater, combine egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice, water, lemon rind and a generous pinch of salt.
5. Beat the mixture on high speed until it is pale and fluffy.
6. Spoon in sifted flour mixture, a little at a time and fold in quickly.
In another clean dry bowl, add egg whites.
7. Use a wire whisk or a clean electric beater to whisk until stiff.
8. Quickly but gently fold into yolk mixture.
Immediately pour cake mixture into jelly roll pan and spread with spatula.
9. Bake cake for about 25 minutes in preheated oven or until spongy to touch.
10. Remove and invert on a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes with pan covering the cake.
11. Transfer cake to a sheet of waxed paper dusted with sugar and trim all the edges that may be browned.
12. Roll cake tightly but gently, without removing the paper. Let cool completely.
In the meantime, make vanilla butter frosting by creaming softened butter with vanilla and Grand Marnier in an electric mixer until fluffy.
13. Gradually beat in sugar alternately adding hot water, until thick and glossy. Keep aside.
To make chocolate butter frosting, melt chocolate in the top of a double boiler or in microwave.
14. In an electric mixer bowl combine chocolate, sugar and hot water and beat adding in egg and egg yolk.
15. Add softened butter, a little at a time, beating until thick like whipped cream.
On a clean work surface, unroll cake, peel off waxed paper.
16. Use a palette knife to spread apricot jam then a thick layer of vanilla butter icing. Roll again as jelly roll.
17. Wrap log in waxed paper and refrigerate to chill and set the icing.
18. Remove waxed paper.
19. Thinly slice at a slant at one end. Trim this slice to an approximate circle and place on top of cake to represent a branch when frosted.
20. Spoon chocolate icing into a pastry bag with flat nozzle and frost cake, running strips of frosting along cake.
21. Use a pallet knife dipped in warm water to cover ends of the cake and top of sawn-off branch with vanilla icing to represent snow.
22. Sprinkle a little instant coffee or cocoa and decorate with angelica leaves and glace cherries.
23. Chill until serving.
24. Carefully transfer to a serving platter
25. Slice at the table.