Holiday Fruit Cake
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Chopped mixed candied fruit||6 Ounce (Or 1 Cup)|
|Raisins||5 Ounce (Or 1 Cup)|
|Chopped walnuts||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Packed brown sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Beer||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Sift together the flour, baking powder, spices and salt into a basin.
2. Dredge the candied fruit, raisins and nuts with a little of the flour mixture and keep aside.
3. Grease a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan with butter and line the base with waxed paper. You can also use 3 small fruit cake pans.
4. Preheat the oven to 275°F
5. In a large mixing bowl, add butter and beat it with an electric mixer until soft.
6. Gradually add the brown sugar, beating until the mixture is light and fluffy.
7. Add the egg and beat until well blended into the creamed mixture.
8. Beat in the sifted flour mixture alternately adding beer to get a smooth batter.
9. Fold in the fruits and nuts mixture using a spatula.
10. Pour the batter into prepared pan/pans and arrange the candied cherries on top, lightly pressing to half submerge in the batter.
11. Bake cake on the middle level of the preheated oven for 1 ½ to 2 hours or until done, it is browned on top, leaves the sides of the pan and is springy to tough. A skewer inserted in the center of the cake should come out clean.
12. Remove pan from the oven and let stand for 20 minutes then invert the cake onto a wire rack and allow cooling.
13. Wrap fruitcake in cheesecloth soaked in additional beer and then in foil.
14. Refrigerate for at least 2 weeks to age and macerate, basting occasionally with beer.
15. Wrap and include in Christmas gift hampers or slice and serve at your Christmas party.
Calories 320 Calories from Fat 114
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g19.9%
Saturated Fat 5.4 g27%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 37.8 mg12.6%
Sodium 79.9 mg3.3%
Total Carbohydrates 49 g16.2%
Dietary Fiber 2.1 g8.3%
Sugars 32.3 g
Protein 4 g7.9%
Vitamin A 5.2% Vitamin C 0.51%
Calcium 6.8% Iron 8.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet