Red Velvet Cake With Velvet Frosting
|Gluten free flour mix||2 3⁄4 Cup (44 tbs) (Use A Basic Variety)|
|Unsweetened cocoa powder||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Xanthan gum||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Double-acting baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Rice milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Cider vinegar||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dairy free soy free vegetable shortening||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Egg replacer||4 1⁄2 Teaspoon, mixed with 6 tablespoons rice milk (Ener-G Brand)|
|Rice milk||6 Tablespoon (For Mixing Egg Replacer)|
|Pure vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Red food coloring||1 Ounce (1 Bottle)|
|For velvet frosting|
|Dairy free soy free vegetable shortening||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Confectioners sugar||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Rice milk||3 Tablespoon|
|Freshly squeezed lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease two 8-inch round cake pans, line with cutout parchment paper, grease again, and dust with a little cocoa powder.
2. Whisk together the flour mix, cocoa powder, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. Combine the rice milk and cider vinegar. Set aside.
4. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the shortening, sugar, egg replacer, and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the food coloring and mix until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Sift in the flour mixture in three batches, alternating with the rice milk mixture, and beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat until smooth, about 30 seconds, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
5. Divide the batter between the two pans, and smooth down the surface using a frosting spatula.
6. Bake in the center of the oven for about 35 minutes, or until the cake is beginning to pull away from the sides of the pan and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Rotate the pans halfway through the baking time.
7. Let cool in the pans on a cooling rack for 30 minutes. Cover the cake pan with a large plate, flip, peel off the parchment paper, and flip the cake back onto the rack, right side up, to cool completely. Repeat with the other cake.
8. Once the cakes have cooled completely, you may use a serrated knife to trim the tops to make them level. Frost with Velvet Frosting. Once the frosting has set, store covered at room temperature. This cake is even better on days two and three!
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the shortening and salt on medium speed for 1 minute.
2. Add the confectioners’ sugar in three batches, beating after each addition.
3. Add the rice milk, lemon juice, and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until smooth, creamy, and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 7644 Calories from Fat 3473
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 382 g587%
Saturated Fat 99 g495.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 22.3 mg7.4%
Sodium 6102.9 mg254.3%
Total Carbohydrates 1023 g340.9%
Dietary Fiber 39.8 g159.2%
Sugars 719.7 g
Protein 51 g102.7%
Vitamin A 129.1% Vitamin C 7.7%
Calcium 100.7% Iron 72.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet