Gluten Free Crumb Cake
|Kosher salt||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Firmly packed light brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dairy free soy free vegetable shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chilled and cut into tablespoon size pieces|
|Gluten free flour mix||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Double acting baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla yogurt||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cider vinegar||1 Teaspoon|
|Dairy free soy free vegetable shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (At Room Temperature)|
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Egg replacer||1 Tablespoon (Ener-G)|
|Pure vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Confectioner's sugar||4 Tablespoon (For Dusting)|
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease a 9 by 9-inch baking pan and sprinkle with a little gluten-free flour mix, tapping out any extra.
2. To make the crumb topping, whisk together the flour mix, xanthan gum, and salt. Add the light brown sugar and cinnamon and whisk again. Add the chilled shortening, and using a pastry blender or two knives, blend until you have a pea-sized crumb. Set aside.
3. To make the cake, whisk together the flour mix, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
4. Combine the vegan yogurt and cider vinegar. Set aside.
5. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the shortening, granulated sugar, egg replacer, and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Add the flour mixture in three parts, alternating with the yogurt, beginning and ending with the flour. Beat until just combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
6. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing out the surface. Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the top, using your fingers to clump some of it together into larger crumbs (think bakery aisle crumb coffee cake).
7. Bake in the center of the oven for 45 minutes, or until the top is golden and the cake springs back when touched lightly.
8. Let cool in the pan on a cooling rack for about 15 minutes. Invert the cake onto a large plate, cover with a cooling rack, and reinvert onto the rack crumb-side up. Let cool completely. Sift the confectioners’ sugar over the top, and cut into squares. Store tightly covered at room temperature.