Classic Layer Cake
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract/Grated lemon rind /orange rind||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Self rising flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Superfine sugar||1 Tablespoon (For Dusting)|
|Jam/Butter cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (To Use As Filling)|
|Icing||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Soft, To Cover The Cake)|
1. Take two 7-inch straight-sided layer cake pans, butter them, and line the bottoms with buttered waxed paper.
2. Pre-heat oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit.
3. In a bowl, beat the butter until it is soft
4. Add the sugar, and cream the mixture until it forms a light and fluffy paste.
5. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, into the paste.
6. Add a few drops of vanilla, or lemon or orange rind - whichever you're using.
6. Sift the flour and beat it in the mixture.
7. Take the two pans, divide this mixture equally between them, and level off the surface.
8. In the pre-heated oven, bake the cakes side by side, if you can, in the center at 350 degree Fahrenheit for about 25 minutes.
9. Cool the cakes on a wire rack.
10. Put jam or a butter cream filling on the top of one cake and put the other one on top to create the layered cake.
11. Dust the top of the cake with superfine sugar.
12. You can also cover the cake with a soft icing and serve it.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2399 Calories from Fat 988
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 113 g173.5%
Saturated Fat 64.1 g320.3%
Trans Fat 3.6 g
Cholesterol 666.8 mg222.3%
Sodium 1967.6 mg82%
Total Carbohydrates 327 g109%
Dietary Fiber 5.4 g21.5%
Sugars 209.7 g
Protein 26 g52.7%
Vitamin A 66.4% Vitamin C 16.4%
Calcium 35.2% Iron 38.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet