Devils Food Cake
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Buttermilk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cake flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Sweet milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Grease a cake pan with butter, and line with greased parchment or heavy paper.
2. Preheat the oven to 325°F to 350° F
3. Into a bowl, sift together the flour, soda and salt.
4. In a basin or pan, break chocolate and add milk.
5. Place pan over a double boiler and melt the chocolate.
6. Take pan off the heat and keep aside.
7. In a large mixing bowl of an electric beater, combine the shortening and sugar.
8. Using an electric beater, or a wire whisk cream the ingredients until the mixture is light and fluffy.
9. Add the eggs to the creamed mixture, one at a time, beating well after each addition until well blended. If the mixture curdles, add a spoon of flour and then continue beating
10. Stir in the vanilla and buttermilk.
11. Into the batter, fold in the sifted dry ingredients, using a spatula, a cup at a time. Fold into the batter in one direction to prevent your cake from becoming dense.
12. Gently fold in the melted chocolate, making sure that you do not overwork the batter.
13. Immediately pour the batter into the prepared cake tin.
14. Bake the cake in the preheated oven for almost 1 hour until the cakes leave the sides of the tins and are spongy to touch. Insert a skewer and see if it comes out clean.
15. Remove the cake from the oven wearing oven mitts and allow them to rest in the tins for 5 minutes then invert them on a wire rack to cool completely. Peel off butter paper.
16. Slice and serve the cake with tea or frost with your favorite cake frosting and serve as a dessert.