Whitby Yule Cake
|Butter||6 Ounce, softened|
|Plain flour||12 Ounce, sifted|
|Soft brown sugar||4 Ounce|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Ounce|
|Nutmeg||5 Milliliter, grated|
|Raisins||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Currants||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Mixed candied peel||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Almonds||2 Ounce, chopped (50 Gram)|
|Brandy||2 Fluid Ounce (50 Milliliter)|
|Single cream||30 Milliliter|
1. Let the oven heat to 325°F (170°C/Gas 3) and grease and line a 20 cm (8 in) square tin.
2. Into the flour rub or cut the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3. Put in the dry ingredients.
4. Beat the eggs with the brandy.
5. Put in to the dry ingredients and mix well with a fork.
6. Put in enough of the cream to mix to a soft dough.
7. Into the prepared tin press and mark into 9 squares, cutting half-way through the dough.
8. Let it bake the cake for 2 1/2—3 hours.
9. Take out of the oven and turn out on to a wire rack to cool.
10. When cold, break into rough pieces along the marked lines.