Louise Read s Coffee Crunch Cake
|Softened butter||6 Ounce (175 Gram)|
|Caster sugar||6 Ounce|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Caster sugar||4 Ounce|
|Instant coffee granules||3 Teaspoon|
|Softened butter||4 Ounce|
|Icing sugar||2 Ounce, sifted|
|Icing sugar||3 Tablespoon|
1. Dissolve the instant coffee granules in water and set aside
2. Make the meringue by whisking the egg whites. Add sugar halfway and then beat again. The egg whites should be stiff and fluffy. Repeat the process till the sugar is incorporated.
3. Add one teaspoon of the coffee liquid and the walnuts to the meringue. Set aside to chill
4. Pre heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
Grease and line two 2 x 20cm loose-bottomed sandwich tins with parchment paper.
5. Prepare the filling or coffee icing by mixing icing sugar and butter together. Add 2 tablespoons of coffee granules to the mix and beat again.
6. Adjust the coffee taste by adding one more tablespoon if required. Add water to the mixture to make a runny icing.
7. Refrigerate the meringue and coffee liquid till required
8. Beat together the sugar and butter till soft and slowly whisk in eggs. Add the flour and baking powder and finally 2 teaspoon of the coffee liquid that was prepared.
9. Divide the mixture into 2 tins. One tin should have slightly more than the other.
10. Spread the meringue on top of the cake tin that has the lesser mixture and bake separately till a skewer inserted comes out clean. The meringue topped cake will take an extra 20 minutes to cook.
11. Remove tins and allow to cool. Sandwich the cooled cakes with the coffee icing.
12. Drizzle the coffee icing on the cake to finish. Serve with cold cream.