Baba Au Rhum
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (hot)|
|Lemon extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Cold water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Rum||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
1. Collect and measure all the ingredients as required.
2. Separate the egg yolks and whites into two clean, dry and grease free mixing bowls.
3. In a measuring jar, combine the milk, butter and vanilla.
4. Into a basin, sift together the measured flour, baking powder and salt.
5. Preheat the oven to 360°F before baking.
6. Generously grease a Mary Ann pan or individual baba moulds with butter.
7. To the egg yolks, add the sugar and whisk using a wire whisk or electric beater, until thick and pale.
8. Use an electric beater or a wire whisk to beat the mixture until soft and light.
9. Stir the sifted dry ingredients and milk mixture, alternately.
10. Add the lemon juice and stir.
11. Beat the egg whites with a clean dry whisk until stiff.
12. Fold into the batter.
13. Pour the batter into the prepared pan or moulds
14. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes until light and spongy to touch.
15. Remove the pan/moulds from the oven and let the cake cool.
16. In the meanwhile, prepare the rum sauce by boiling sugar in water to make a thick golden syrup without stirring, then blending in the butter and rum.
17. Place cakes on individual plates or on a platter
18. While the cakes are still warm, pour the syrup over them and allow them to soak.
19. Drizzle sauce on the side and serve.