Old Fashioned Black Velvet Cake
|Cocoa powder||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Flour||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||2 (Beaten)|
|Whiskey||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Whipping cream||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix 2 cups sugar, 1 ¾ cup flour and ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder and mix it up.
3. Sieve 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda and 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder and a teaspoon of salt into the mix all these dry ingredients together
4. Add 2 eggs, 1 cup milk and ½ cup oil and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract and blend.
5. Add a cup of hot water and continue blending.
6. Grease the cake holder and pour the mix into the tray.
7. Set the cake for bake for 35 minutes.
8. In a heating pan, melt ½ cup butter.
9. For the whiskey sauce: Add 1 cup sugar, 2 beaten egg yolks and 2 tablespoons of water. Boil this mix for 5-7 minutes until the sauce thickens.
Add ½ cup of whiskey into the sauce and let it cool.
10. Remove cake from oven and let it cool.
11. For the whipped cream: Mix a teaspoon of Gelatin with 2 tablespoons of cold water and place inside a dish of hot water.
12. Keep this aside once the gelatin has dissolved.
13. Add 1 ½ cup of whipping cream and blend until stiff.
14. Add a dash of salt, ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract, 2 tablespoons of sugar and the dissolved gelatin and continue whipping until stiff and thick.
15. Place this in the fridge for a few minutes until it cools down.
16. Cut the cake into half and spread the whiskey sauce over the base.
17. Spread a thick layer of the whipped cream.
18. Place the top layer of the pour more whiskey sauce on the top.
19. Decorate with walnuts and dribble more whiskey sauce for a glazed look.
The gelatin helps keep the whipped cream thick and in place even after placing the top layer of the cake.