Cherry Angel Food Cake
|Cake flour||7 Cup (112 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 5⁄8 Cup (26 tbs)|
|Egg whites||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Cream of tartar||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Almond flavoring||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Maraschino cherries||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
1) Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
2) In a bowl, add flour and 7/8 cup sugar and set aside.
3) In another bowl, add egg whites and cream of tartar and salt and beat till foamy.
4) Slowly add in the remaining sugar, while beating.
5) Beat till the meringue forms stiff peaks.
6) Gently fold in the flavorings.
7) Sprinkle the flour mixture and cherries over the egg whites.
8) Fold only enough to mix.
9) Transfer into an ungreased tube pan.
10) Lightly cut through the batter to remove air pockets.
11) Place in the oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
12) Invert on a funnel till cold.
13) Remove from the pan.
14) Frost with white icing.