Sour Cream Fruit Cake
|Egg whites||6 (3/4 Cup)|
|Sifted all-purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1 Cup (16 tbs) (2 Sticks)|
|Sour cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Almond extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Mixed candied fruit||8 Ounce, coarsely chopped (1 Jar)|
|Walnuts||1 Cup (16 tbs), coarsely chopped|
|Mixed candied peel||3 1⁄2 Ounce (For Frosting Glaze, 1 Jar)|
1. In medium bowl of electric mixer, let egg whites warm to room temperature—about 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 10-inch bundt pan or tube pan.
3. Sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
4. With electric mixer at high speed, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually beat in 1 cup sugar, beating after each addition. Continue beating until soft peaks form when beaters are slowly raised.
5. In large bowl of electric mixer, using the same beaters, beat butter with remaining sugar until light. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time. Then beat until mixture is light and fluffy.
6. At low speed, beat in flour mixture (in thirds) alternately with sour cream (in halves), beginning and ending with flour.
7. Add vanilla and almond extracts, chopped candied fruit and the walnuts; mix until well combined.
8. With wooden spoon, fold in egg-white mixture just until blended.
9. Turn into prepared pan; bake 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
10. Cool on wire rack 30 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely.