|Plain flour||8 Ounce, sifted (225 Gram)|
|Baking powder||5 Milliliter (1 Teaspoon)|
|Butter/Margarine||5 Milliliter, softened (To Grease Tine, 1 Teaspoon)|
|Caster sugar||6 Ounce (175 Gram)|
|Lemon||1⁄2 , rind grated|
|Eggs||3 Medium, beaten|
|Milk||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon, At Room Temperature)|
|Candied citrus peel||3 (Thin Slices)|
1. Let the oven heat to 350°F (180°C/Gas 4) and grease and line an 18 cm (7 in) round tin.
2. Combine together the flour and baking powder.
3. In a separate bowl, cream the fat, sugar and lemon rind together until light and fluffy.
4. Whisk in the eggs, a little at a time, adding 15 ml (1 tbsp) of the flour with each addition.
5. Whisk hard to incorporate plenty of air.
6. Using a metal spoon, fold in the remaining flour and then add the milk.
7. Combine together thoroughly and pour into the prepared tin.
8. Let the cake bake for 1 hour.
9. Remove out of the oven, press the strips of citrus peel lightly over the top of the cake and bake for a further 30 minutes until golden and well risen and a skewer comes out clean.
10. Remove from the oven and let it cool in the tin for at least 5 minutes before turning out on to a wire rack to cool completely.