Cherry Nut Cake
|Maraschino cherries||8 Ounce (1 Jar)|
|Walnut meats||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Double-acting baking powder||1 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Rye whiskey/Bourbon whisky||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Good Quality)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Soft butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (1 Stick)|
|Confectioners sugar||2 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2. Rinse the cherries, drain and chop it. Dry it by spreading on the paper towel.
3. Chop walnuts before combining them with the cherries. Take about ½ cup of sifted flour in a small bowl.
4. Take another bowl and sift in the remaining cup of flour, salt and baking powder.
5. Take a third bowl and blend whisky with nutmeg.
6. Set the yolks aside by separating the yolks.
7. Beat the egg whites until they turn stiff using an egg beater or electric mixer at high speed. Gradually fold in 1/3 cup sugar and beat until the mixture becomes stiff.
8. Keep it aside.
9. Take a large mixing bowl whip the butter, along with egg yolks and the remaining 2/3 cup sugar until the mixture turns fluffy.
10. Add flour mixtures and whisky and beat them slowly until the batter is smooth. They should be beaten alternately.
11. Add walnuts and cherries using the rubber spatula and fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites.
12. Press this mixture onto a 9-inch tube pan, greased and lined with wax paper which is made to fit the bottom.
13. Bake the mixture in oven for about an hour at 325°F until the toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
14. Place the pan in the wire rack and allow the cake to cool for about half an hour.
15. Peel off the paper once you remove the cake from the pan.
16. When it is completely cooled then dust off its top with confectioners’ sugar.
17. Serve immediately.